Sunday, March 2, 2008

Wile E Coyote


The ride of the day was 31 3/4 miles through Stillwater and Lake Elmo with fellow Loon State riders John Stamm and Rob Belz. John and Rob met me in Lakeland after riding up from Afton. They got in about 45 miles. We all rode our cross bike. The roads were dry and the shoulders were pretty decent. There were a few places where melting snow made the roads wet but all in all, it was a great day for a ride. The highlight of the day was later in the evening. Jerry Engen and I went coyote hunting in Lakeland. Jerry knows just about every farmer in the east metro. The farm we hunted is pretty big. We hiked about a 1 1/2 miles across open land including corn stubble from last year. I pulled a sled with a couple of guns and two recorders and a rabbit decoy. Jerry carried a couple of other guns. We set up on the edge of the woods with an open draw for the coyotes to wander in. Instead of using my 22, I grabbed Jerry's double barrel shot gun and climbed into a tree stand. Jerry set up a woodpecker recorder by me and then he went over to a tent about 75 yards away. Jerry had a 17 and a 223 rifle ready to go. He set up a coyote recorder and then put out the rabbit which moves around and makes noise when turned on. It was a great evening to be out. The temps were warm and the white snow made it easier to check out the action at night. I sat in the tree stand for about an hour and 15 minutes. I'd watch the planes flying in from Wisconsin while they made their way to Minneapolis/Saint Paul Airport. The sky was clear too so the stars were out. Orion the Hunter was over my left shoulder. Every minute or two, I'd turn on the recorder for 10 seconds. I'd hear Jerry turn on the coyote call and the rabbit. Why Jerry gave me a woodpecker recorder, I don't know... Woodpeckers aren't out flying around at night... I thought an owl or two might fly in but I didn't even hear a hoot. Anyway, no coyotes showed up. Jerry came over since he was done sitting around. We packed up the sled and headed for the truck. The hunting wasn't successful but it was still a great night to be out in the woods and fields.

No comments: