Saturday, January 26, 2008

Racing Again...


Wow! It was back to racing and man did I do well today... I skied the Balsam Branch 20K skate race in Amery, Wisconsin. I'm a prime example of someone who needs to ski to race well. Once or twice a week like I've been getting in just doesn't cut it. Okay, I wimped out on the cold days and rode the trainer inside. Yeah, my weight is up to 176lbs which is about 10 to 15 over my ideal. Who's complaining... The weight and lack of skiing are my own fault... I guess I'm more of a biker now than a skier and the desire isn't there. That being said, I don't want to embarrass myself at the Birkie so I better get skiing. I used to ski with John Stamm in the ski races. We'd go back and forth depending on the day. I had Dan Meyer's and Tom Bengel's number for over a decade. Not anymore... They beat me handily today. In fact they got me by 10, 6 and 3 minutes respectively. The hills are where I got destroyed. A couple of kilometers from the finish, three skiers caught up to me. They went around me and I had just enough to jump on their draft. I blasted around all three on the downhill run to the line!!! I'm back racing!

No comments: